Who owns the copyright?
You do, the original authors and illustrators. We own the publishing rights. This means all the work belongs to you but we have the right to print and distribute it. This enables us to obtain ISBN and barcodes, which retailers require. As your publisher, that gives us the right to “publish” your ebook on our site and make it available to everyone.
Can I use stories or characters or that are copyrighted or trademarked?
Not really. If something is copyrighted, you need permission from the copyright holder to use it, and we sincerely doubt any large corporation would be into lending it out. But, the real reason why you shouldn’t is your students. Why do you want to limit their creativity and ingenuity?
How profitable is a book fundraiser?
Books have the potential to be very profitable. Families tend to have numerous storybooks, and chances are these books are written by authors they don’t even know. Most families will purchase a book if their child has contributed. You can increase your market to families outside of your immediate circle by advertising in your community, and creating a marketable product.
I don’t have time to devote to this in a regular class day.
No problem. We have simple prompts to download and distribute to students. This project can be offered as a contest or an extracurricular project. You can incorporate this as a project or lesson within the core curriculum. Or book a workshop, we will come and guide students in the creation and publishing… they’ll have a blast.
I don’t have scanner.
Send us your artwork and we can scan it for you, for a nominal fee. We offer typing too.
I’m concerned about the environment. What are your environmental policies?
We are concerned about the environment too.
Here are a few of our initiatives:
- Pre-ordering ensures ONLY the books that are sold are printed. This reduces waste at the source, and by not producing excess we avoid warehousing, or having to dispose of unsold books.
- Paper is FSC approved.
- Inks are vegetable based.
- Where possible we select printers within 100km of your organization. This significantly reduces emissions from transport, ensures that materials and sources are within local environmental guidelines, and supports our community.
- Resources are available on our site to download as needed. Online ordering is encouraged to reduce waste.
Is there a minimum order quantity?
Nope. However, the more you order the lower the price per book.
Could I publish a book on my own?
How big can our book be?
We have several templates to choose from.
Dimensions of the final book are approximately 8.5″ x 11″.
Interior can number 24, 32, 80, or 160 pages long.
Contact us for customizing.
How many pages does each class have for their story?
This is up to you. Remember to subtract pages such as the table of contents, title pages, and other front matter. Use our templates to help. You could divide up the number of classes or grades into one of the book packages evenly. Two grades or classes could work together on a section. The entire student body could be divided into small groups containing multiple grade levels. Each student could have one page to complete. The possibilities are endless.
How long does it take to get our book?
- Your book will be published online within 1 week.
- Your book will be made available for sale online for a 2 week period.
- Your books will be delivered to your organization within 3 weeks of receiving the final order.
- If you would like your book in time for a certain event or before holidays, we recommend you work backwards from that day to about 4 weeks to create a schedule for your publishing deadline.
- Allow teachers and students ample time to create their entries as well.
How big do we make our illustrations?
- Drawings should be created on 8.5 inches wide (21.5 cm) and 11 inches high (28 cm)
- Make sure to have students draw on page as a portrait (upright) and NOT turn it sideways (landscape)
- Scans should be 1700 pixels wide by 2200 pixels high in resolution.
How can we order copies of our book?
Once your book is published online, viewers can order directly from this site. You can place a bulk order at any point in the process. Remember, the price per book is lower the more you order at one time.
What should we write about?
Anything. If you’re stuck for ideas check out our sample lesson plans and downloads for inspiration.
Is there anything for highschools?
Yes. Older students can take part in publishing as well.
Graphic Novels, Poetry, Artwork, Works of Fiction, etc.
Teens are a wealth of creativity, publishing is a great outlet.